1.3.10

Why is the home installation not as good as the vehicle installation

As a follow up to the previous post on grounding the hatchback lid the performance improvement is so great that it is making me look at the home HF installation which I have to admit has always been a compromise and has been thrown in to get me back on HF when wires has snapped etc. So weather permiting I will be looking how I can impove the grounding om my HF vertical this weekend.

My current antenna consists to a 10m fishing pole with a helical winding around the pole with 1 inch (approx) spacing between windings. At the base I have a CG3000 Auto ATU (Chinese origin) the ground or earth is four random length earth wires connected to the cold side of the CG3000.

As you will see from the logbook, the antenna does get out but most of my real DX has been via PSK31 and not via SSB and to be honest I do prefer to talk. 

So I think the the first job will be to make a radial plate out of some aluminium angle stock that I have in the shed, then use some braid left over from the previous project to connect this to the CG3000. Then lay in some more radials. I also have some 2m electrical earth rods and may sink them in strategic positions, then link them all in together. with the copper braid I have. Also was wondering about making a fixed 20m dipole (Beaming east west) for the second input on the 756 Pro II.

No comments:

Post a Comment