20.8.09

CCNA in the bag

Booked in my CCNA re-sit for Tuesday @ 10.30 (Told you I was a morning person). The nearest testing centre to me is at Newark and is based at a company who do Linux training called For Linux. Got there well early as for once very little traffic to contend with, so went in at 9.30 to register & have the photo took etc. I was asked if I wanted to take it now, so jumped in with both feet and took the exam, had the **** simulator as question eleven this time, no problem at all except when I used the command line to telnet to the router it seemed to crash and no matter what command I put in it kept showing me pages of commands every time I pressed enter.

Hmmm this might mean I bloomin fail again, So I asked the invigilator to have a look and she had no idea what to do, so I left a comment on the question along the lines of "Seriously un-impressed" and carried on with the other questions as time was ticking on and the crash had cost me 10 minutes or so of precious exam time. Also I was beginning to think about what we had been told that the simulator had a high percentage of marks attached so was really thinking, I cannot believe this, failed again. Anyway I though put some effort in and if your going to fail get a respectable score.

Pretty much flew through the rest of the questions and hit the end exam button with 5 minutes to spare and said aloud to myself "No Bloody Chance" after what seemed a very long time I had my answer!

"Congratulations"

Well what more can I say, I honestly don't think I have had such a range of emotions in a 20 minute time frame. Am I pleased YES, Am I surprised YES.

Thoughts:

Is the CCNA a hard exam ? Yes much harder that when I took it last.
Did you put enough effort in? Not initially, but sine I have been home from firebrand I have been practicing subnetting, in fact I have a full spiral bound pad full of them.

Recommendations:

  1. Read the flipping questions, then read them a final time before answering.
  2. Learn to subnet even if it takes a month every night, I repeat learn to subnet.
  3. Get some rack time on actual Cisco equipment, use it to do labs, and then some more labs.
  4. Be happy configuring access control lists, practice them and understand them.
  5. Do loads of quality practice questions, accept the fact that some of the practice questions will be wrong, and some you will think are wrong are actuall right, you will be really sureprised how many ways their are to write the same question.
  6. Learn your routing protocols and how to set them up, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP etc.
  7. Always read the answer to a question from the bottom up, this is so simple and really works.
That's it for now, I'll blog again if I think of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment